Bicycle Diaries: Spindle failure

Recent Posts

28.3.07

Spindle failure

and life's little frustrations


Last night on my commute that which rolls had it's first major structural failure. Halfway home from work a the bottom-bracket started emitting a strange grinding noise. Then the left pedal started going floppy. I stopped thinking I'd thrown a pedal bearing or perhaps the crank was loose. So I tightened both the pedals and cotter pins as best I could and rolled on.

After about 50 meters, the left crank fell onto the street! Thank G-d I wasn't going very fast or standing on the pedals ... the good news is I have a spare from the Raleigh I bought earlier this summer. So today, I'll dip into Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual and get my hands dirty %)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I thought I had the only copy left extent.
See http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbadj.html and http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html as well. These will save you alot of grief. You might also want to make certain the replacement spindle is indeed the same size as the orginal.

Cheers!

28/3/07 20:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I busted a spindle once, scared the crap outa me! Be sure to click on the picture to see the scary sharpness of the broken piece!

28/3/07 21:05  
Blogger that dave said...

whoa. good thing it did'nt cause a crash.

28/3/07 23:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yow, you are lucky you weren't standing on it or peddling hard.

You know, I don't know if any of that stuff comes apart. I was a bit amazed at how hard it was to pull the Hercules pieces apart but once I got the caps and everything off of the left side of the hanger set the spindle seemed to come out without any trouble.

28/3/07 23:51  

Post a Comment

<< Home