Bicycle Diaries: Before there were t-shirts

Recent Posts

18.9.08

Before there were t-shirts

there were
bright & shinnies


With every bike event these days you get a colorful creation that announces the vision, mission, and goals as well as the myriad corporate sponsors. Even bike clubs aren't immune from the cotton pest. I mean, what the hell do you do with all those t-shirts anyway? The ones that aren't taking up space in the lower drawer of my dresser are now serving time as oil rags on the back porch bike shop.

Before t-shirts became the commonly accepted currency for expressing your commitment to alternative forms of transportation gentleman bikers sported badges, or pins as our American cousins would call them.

And who can't see the advantages in sporting badges. Unlike the cotton vest, a badge doesn't fade. Being much smaller, it's more flexible in terms of display. You can sport more than one at the same time, unless you're into that Seattle grunge, multi-layered thang. So here's my tribute the the badges of bikers past.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger mytzpyk said...

Dude. Seriously. Thanks. When I did Chequmegon in 2001 I recieved a pin. I thought that odd...and came home with two t-shirts I purchased myself.

I love those t-shirts but...

as board member of my local club - pins for next years annual ride. I hope so.

It's funny how it takes people to point out seemingly obvious alternatives.

18/9/08 16:03  
Blogger Da' Square Wheelman, said...

You're very welcome. If you need any ideas, let me know and I'll post more detailed pix!

19/9/08 07:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home