Bicycle Diaries: A new bike adventure

Recent Posts

15.12.09

A new bike adventure

gone but
not forgotten!

Today marks my last official day of work until September 1, 2010. It was a balmy September afternoon when I sprung the idea of an eight month sabbatical on my boss as we biked back to the office from a downtown meeting. She was reluctant but willing to listen. I presented a detailed plan for how my duties could be carried out during the proposed leave. I would like to think my well thought out proposal convinced her to agree, but the prospect of forgoing most of my salary in the upcoming tight budget year probably played a role as well.
So writes Michael Burton, fellow biker and the guy who got me my new gig at Bickerdike. He, his wife Gin and son Miguel are all on their way to join another scion of The Windy City's bike community, Jim Redd at his Eco-Hacienda in Ecuador!

Both Jim and Michael were rather influential in getting me into the bike community; the former by his example and the latter by his enthusiasms. Even though he and his family will be returning, it's sad to see them go. It marks yet another small generational turn among those who've made biking here fun. On the other hand though, their departure on a new adventure is hardly surprising. Having contributed to the ballet of the streets for nearly a decade, I think they've earned it. Besides, it's time for some others to influence the folks coming up ...

Michael, Gin & Co.
Good Luck & Bummel On!!!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Gin said...

Aw, thanks, Garth. We'll be turning to you for advice on designing and maintaining our blog. I picked up a great dress for a future tweed ride, so you know we'll be back.

15/12/09 15:51  
Anonymous Term Papers said...

Such a nice post, it is really interesting, want to admire your work, Thanks.

17/12/09 06:14  
Anonymous Term papers said...

Nice blog as for me. I'd like to read a bit more about this topic. Thanks for posting this information.
And hope to read more from oyu..

2/1/10 04:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home